Broker Check

Your Tax Documents

Here are some of the most commonly required documents for preparing your taxes:

(Some of these items may not apply to you, in which case you can disregard them.)

  • Social security numbers for you, your spouse, and all your dependents
  • Last year's tax returns
  • W-2s for yourself and your spouse
  • Any 1099s you or your spouse received
  • Alimony received
  • Unemployment income statements
  • Social security income statements
  • Any other statements showing income

Additionally, you should be prepared to provide:

  • IRA contributions
  • Tuition payments and Student loan interest payments
  • Any itemized expenses you may wish to deduct, such as:
  • Out-of-pocket medical expenses
  • Non-cash donations
  • Cash donations
  • Vehicle license tabs
  • Property taxes paid
  • Job-related moving expenses
  • Mortgage interest paid
  • Tax preparation fees
  • Uniform costs
  • Property Tax Refund documents
  • CRPs - Certificate of Rent Paid
  • Property tax statements

If you have children in school, you can apply for the Minnesota Education Credit. Be sure to bring this information to your appointment:

  • Educational software
  • Private school tuition or tutoring
  • Academic books/materials
  • Music lessons and music equipment rental
  • Tuition for academic summer camp
  • Instructor fees for drivers education
  • School supplies (must have itemized receipt)

If you have children in Daycare, there's one last thing to remember:

  • Daycare expenses - you will need to provide the name, address, amount paid, and social security number or EIN for each provider you paid.

Tax services offered by Best Tax Pro. Cetera Advisor Networks LLC does not provide tax or legal advice.

Have a Question?

Thank you!